What have YOU being doing or are you planning to do with your Vette?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Swapped the Corvette today for 550 bhp of air cooled fun in a T6 Harvard that was the advanced trainer for WW2 fighter pilots . What a fantastic old aircarft , sustained 3g in 180 mph climbs , barrel roles , loop the loops and half Cubans as tought to pilots in dog fight training . We did a simulated arial combat scenario against a pack of Meschersmit ME 109 `s . Out of this world and can`t wipe the smile of my face . :D Took control of the aircraft several timed too . Awesome !!DSCF2901.JPGDSCF2910.JPG

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Swapped the Corvette today for 550 bhp of air cooled fun in a T6 Harvard that was the advanced trainer for WW2 fighter pilots . What a fantastic old aircarft , sustained 3g in 180 mph climbs , barrel roles , loop the loops and half Cubans as tought to pilots in dog fight training . We did a simulated arial combat scenario against a pack of Meschersmit ME 109 `s . Out of this world and can`t wipe the smile of my face . :D Took control of the aircraft several timed too . Awesome !!View attachment 16769View attachment 16770
Wow! Wot an experience. You will be doing the spitfire next! . A lot of money But How many people can say they have flown in a warbird. ? Any photos from cockpit 👍

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Yeah , Spitfire flights a mega bucks and they do them from Sywell airport not far from me . The twin cockpitDSCF2904.JPG Spit comes over our village regularly . My `Battle of Britain ` experience was a surprise birthday present from my wife and daughter . Unfortunately no cockpit photos as cameras and phones are banned for safety reasons in case they get dropped in the cockpit . I have got it all filmed by onboard video camera on memory stick with full sound the radio chat between me and the pilot and ground control . The world don`t arf look funny upside down through a glass cockpit canopy ! :LOL: Fortunately I kept my breakfast down . :sick: One can only try to imagine what those young pilots went through during the war with very little flying experience and staring death in the face for maybe 5 sortees a day , day after day . They really were heros . At least no one was shoouting at me !

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Was anyone out on the A1 northbound yesterday at about 12 ish ? As we were descending for the landing approach at Conington Airfield I spotted something long and yellow with what looked like T tops . Could well have been a Corvette but hard to tell from an altitude of about 2000 feet . :unsure:

antijam

CCCUK Member
Today I managed to change a fuse on my '71. So what you say?
Well, while fiddling around trying to get my cigar lighter to work (I don't smoke but the 12V socket is useful) I neglected to disconnect the battery and of course managed to blow the fuse. Not only does the fuse protect the lighter but also the clock, and since I've gone to a lot of effort to get a working clock, this was doubly annoying.
Still, no problem; I'll just whip the old fuse out and put a new one in. Easier said than done; the fuse is in the box high up under the left side of the dash and not only is a the box itself an access problem, the relevant fuse is the most inaccessible of the lot. It's the one arrowed blue below at the top left of the box....fuse.jpg
...and while this shot may Indicate that access should be straightforward, believe me it's not.
I manage to winkle the blown fuse out with the trimmed down wooden end of a small paintbrush, but holding the replacement with two fingers in the necessary spot is impossible.
One finger I can get there, so after a bit of thought I come up with this solution. I strap the fuse to my forefinger with a small rubber band as shown below...

P1370691.JPGP1370693.JPG
....so now I can simply press the fuse into the holder, slide my finger back to release the rubber band and Hey Presto - job done! Working clock and power socket again :) (y)
(Memo to self - isolate battery before fiddling with electrics)

Last edited:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Well, while fiddling around trying to get my cigar lighter to work (I don't smoke but the 12V socket is useful) I neglected to disconnect the battery and of course managed to blow the fuse. Not only does the fuse protect the lighter but also the clock, and since I've gone to a lot of effort to get a working clock, this was doubly annoying.
Still, no problem; I'll just whip the old fuse out and put a new one in. Easier said than done; the fuse is in the box high up under the left side of the dash and not only is a the box itself an access problem, the relevant fuse is the most inaccessible of the lot. It's the one arrowed blue below at the top left of the box....View attachment 16780
...and while this shot may Indicate that access should be straightforward, believe me it's not.
I manage to winkle the blown fuse out with the trimmed down wooden end of a small paintbrush, but holding the replacement with two fingers in the necessary spot is impossible.
One finger I can get there, so after a bit of thought I come up with this solution. I strap the fuse to my forefinger with a small rubber band as shown below...

View attachment 16781View attachment 16782
....so now I can simply press the fuse into the holder, slide my finger back to release the rubber band and Hey Presto - job done! Working clock and power socket again :) (y)
Good job antjam , you are obviously a problem solver! .. Now, if you can just rustle me up a thingamy bob , whacha ma callit to enable me to get to these bolts without dropping trans or pulling motor that would be magic 😁👍

Attachments

• 9B6B048F-4295-492B-97E4-FA6282237EE0.jpeg
    9B6B048F-4295-492B-97E4-FA6282237EE0.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 4

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Still, no problem; I'll just whip the old fuse out and put a new one in. Easier said than done; the fuse is in the box high up under the left side of the dash and not only is a the box itself an access problem, the relevant fuse is the most inaccessible of the lot. It's the one arrowed blue below at the top left of the box....View attachment 16780

View attachment 16781View attachment 16782
I would love to meet the guy who thought it a good idea to stick the fusebox up there and shake him warmly by the throat ! :mad:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Went to the Petrolheadonism midweek monthly bash at Finedon in Northants this evening . Not the best attended or most inspiring car meet I have been to but at least a handfull of interesting Yanks there . Got chatting with owner of a lovely Ford V8 Pilot . A couple of trucks too and a pair of Chevy Belair`s . One was an awesome street / drag car . The C3 was a good match for organiser Ciro`s purple Lambo . :D
Just managed to get home before the heavens opened ! 🌧️DSC_0634.JPGDSC_0638.JPGDSC_0647.JPGDSC_0646.JPGDSC_0640.JPGDSC_0648.JPG

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Went for a spin the other day with my brother. It was very fun blasting boston on cassette with the roof off and had the rear window out even though it didn't make much difference in my opinion. The cassette player isn't perfect though.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I’ve never seen the point of the rear window removal. I don’t think it makes any difference to the driving experience. Haven’t been in many vets with it removed while driving/passenger so maybe I’ve missed something.

Last edited:

Roscobbc

I’ve never seen the point of the rear window removal. I don’t think it makes any difference to the driving experience. Haven’t been in many vets with it removed while driving/passenger so maybe I’ve missed something.
Yes, you have definately missed something IMHO. Far less buffeting with side windows, roofs off and rear window out. Additionally you'll have a better aural experience (much as a convertible) and hear that rear exiting exhaust 'singing' for you.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Yes, you have definately missed something IMHO. Far less buffeting with side windows, roofs off and rear window out. Additionally you'll have a better aural experience (much as a convertible) and hear that rear exiting exhaust 'singing' for you.
Totally agree. Window out works for me 👍

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Watched austin powers since I saw the patriotic stingray online. I want that car so bad. Maybe one day I'll do a copy if I can ever afford to do it.