What have YOU being doing or are you planning to do with your Vette?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I’ve seen both a C2 and a C3 done like that at the Daytona Turkey run. It’s a very “in your face” paint job. Not sure if I would want it or not. 🤔

antijam

CCCUK Member
While prettying up my '71 ready for a western region meet tomorrow I noticed a small pool collecting undo the left side of the car just forward of the rear wheel. Since I recently replaced the rear brake hoses and the caliper steel lines while fitting new trailing arms I thought perhaps I'd neglected to tighten all the unions properly.
Unfortunately not. The leak is coming from some point in the front to rear steel line where it rises up to the brass line block connector.
leak.jpg
Can't see exactly where the leak is but that's immaterial - I'm going to have to replace the brake line, and since I'm pretty sure all the brake lines are original, after 51 years they're probably all reaching end of life and I need to do the lot. Hey Ho - if it's not one thing it's another on old 'Vettes.
So I won't be going to the meet in the 'vette tomorrow, but I hope to turn up in an alternative; it will at least be american and it will have a V8 motor (and a lot more horsepower! :))

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Are you saying there is brake fluid on the floor ?
You find less brake fluid in the master ?
Brakes feel spongy or brake pedal not coming right back up ?

Could it be from when you worked on brakes and some fluid got on the frame and then leaked on the floor ?

Could the leak be just that hose coupler I point to with the white arrow ?

I would think if the leak was with the hard line that the fluid would have cleaned that area and be easy to see where leaking

leakc.jpg

antijam

CCCUK Member
Are you saying there is brake fluid on the floor ? Yep
You find less brake fluid in the master ? Yep
Brakes feel spongy or brake pedal not coming right back up ? Yep

Could it be from when you worked on brakes and some fluid got on the frame and then leaked on the floor ? No - the leak is a constant slow drip

Could the leak be just that hose coupler I point to with the white arrow ? No - hoses were new and no sign of leakage from coupler

I would think if the leak was with the hard line that the fluid would have cleaned that area and be easy to see where leaking
My car was originally undersealed and there's wet sealing gunk everywhere. It's impossible to see clearly in the area where the leak is evident.
I think I must have flexed the steel line when replacing the rear hose and induced a crack or pinhole in the 50 year old rusty line - anyway the leak is definitely coming from some inaccessible point in the steel line.
:(
You make sensible points, but I think I'm stuck with replacing the lines.

Roscobbc

Doesn't look right because flags are rectangles. That's why it works so well on the C2.
If (like many of the star and stripes flags that are emulating on some of the yank cars) the depiction of our union flag was far smaller and with that wind blown effect it would look far, far better imho.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Looks like it`s a trip to the body shop today for a quote on paint repairs . :confused: Wife and I had a good cruise through the Cotswolds yesterday down to Stow-on - the Wold . Parked the Vette in the town square and went for lunch. The car drew lots of admiring looks and comments from passers by taking photos , including a friendly young chap from Louisiana who stopped to talk about it . However thr trip was marred by the sound of a load clatter on the underside on the way home . Something I had not spotted in the road must have got flicked up by the off side rear tyre and flung round the wheel arch and chipped several inches of paint away on the lip of the flaired arch . :cry:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
OH dear, sorry to hear that. Unfortunately actually driving the car opens it up to all sorts of paint damage be it from stone chips while driving, damage while parked up or an actual accident. Hopefully your body shop will be able to sort it out.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
OH dear, sorry to hear that. Unfortunately actually driving the car opens it up to all sorts of paint damage be it from stone chips while driving, damage while parked up or an actual accident. Hopefully your body shop will be able to sort it out.
Fortunately I know some good guys who have done paintwork on it before . As you say , the perils of driving it , but that`s what it`s for ! I will be a good time to get a few other chips dealt with too that I have been putting off as I know I will only collect more .

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Lets hope your paint guys can 'match' the finish without resorting to painting a complete panel!
They managed a perfect colour match last time they worked on it and they gave me the Data Sheet with all the make up % `s in it for Ford Violet Metallic . I have been to see them this morning to discuss the work required . Blending in the lacquer coat is the main issue as need an edge line to work up to . Having found a few slight paint cracks in the rear wing and passenger side skirt , I might go for an almost all `rear end ` respray so they can go from side skirt, all the rear fender section , up over the rear wing ( spoiler) ) and then down the drivers side rear fender . Waiting on a phone call from them now . 😟

Roscobbc

They managed a perfect colour match last time they worked on it and they gave me the Data Sheet with all the make up % `s in it for Ford Violet Metallic . I have been to see them this morning to discuss the work required . Blending in the lacquer coat is the main issue as need an edge line to work up to . Having found a few slight paint cracks in the rear wing and passenger side skirt , I might go for an almost all `rear end ` respray so they can go from side skirt, all the rear fender section , up over the rear wing ( spoiler) ) and then down the drivers side rear fender . Waiting on a phone call from them now . 😟
Good you have some experienced people to turn to. Having had a previous working life of 45 years of company vehicles, accident repairers 'love' company car insurance work. They'll estimate 7/10 days for the repair - you'll be either in a 'spare' end of life company car - or the most basic courtesy car and anxious to get your proper car back. The 7/10 days becomes 2, 3 or 4 weeks.......by the time you get your own vehicle back you'll be torn between returning it for rectification of the dodgy work and perhaps waiting another few weeks. And you won't want to be driving that Corsa or Yaris, having to leave all your work tools and samples at home again. So what do you do?.....you accept the crappy repair job.....!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I have had to kick arse in the past for taking longer than promised one the Vette before when some muppet scraped the nose .but they do a good job at a fair price . I have used them on my other cars too . Their problem is they are a two man band and sometimes take on too much work . They do all sorts of body repair and often work on classics . They have done a couple of Mike Brewers show cars for him . They love my Vette and think it`s the biz which helps too .