What Have You Found To Watch?

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Apparently the corvette was on loan from the local Chevrolet dealer for the film. Bet they were not pleased when it was returned to them.

Correct:

I don’t know how/where/when Tom got the idea of driving a Corvette into a lake. (It’s certainly one of the questions I get asked, and we will include in the interviews as part of the Billy Jack documentary.) But as a 14 year-old who got to drive this 427 three-pack monster, this was a great and horrible day all in one.

The day was great because there was a possibility that I was going to get to do the stunt. David Roya rightfully wasn’t too sure about driving a car into a lake. But there weren’t any stuntmen on the crew. If David didn’t do it, I would. And so I told Tom over, and over, and over, and over, and over. As the day went on, it looked more and more like a teenage boy was going to get the opportunity of a lifetime: drive a very expensive (retail price around $6,000 – which was a lot in 1969) car into a lake. On purpose. With his parents watching. On film.

An added twist to all of this was the car was on loan from a Chevy dealer in Los Angeles. This was low-budget filmmaking at its most creative, so you scrounge and deal and work any angle possible, and somehow Delores had gotten a dealer to loan the Corvette for the shoot. Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when the Corvette was towed back onto the lot (this submarine maneuver destroyed the engine).

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Thanks for posting that, watched it right through.
Some fabulous cars and venues. (y)

Thanks Graham. I didn't set out last year to do it but in my role of regional rep I take photos for the regional reports so had the idea to roll them all into one slide show which Rob Tring very kindly agreed to put together. This year I'd like to include more people and interaction shots if I do it again and less pics of my cars 😬

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
454ci a monster of a factory motor back in the day. We sold a friend a 1975 caprice convertible with a 454 in it in 1991. Beautiful car in metallic dark green, white top and interior. Every factory option. He’s still got it, and it still looks fantastic.

Last edited:

Roscobbc

I never, ever do 'drop the clutch' pull aways on my '68. Far too risky, a Muncie 4 speed with 2.20 first gear, a rear axle with 3.08 ratio, 285 section grippy radials and finally 600 ft lbs of torque could mean trouble for the diff, drive shafts and UJ's. I have been known to do it from a rolling start though............

_DSC4315-1.jpg

Roscobbc

For a longer lasting BB experience

Into the last day of auction on BAT and at $69k at the mo
Interesting that it appears to be a '68 and the absense of door 'pulls' (which were added later in the model year) indicates that it could be a very early car. Sounds like it has a chambered exhaust?