C3 Race Car Build

Roscobbc

Late 60's 'interpretation' of an early 60's GM design prototype. Available in kit form (known as Maco Shark) it was probably a cheap way of rebuilding an accident damaged C3. We have one in our Scottish region.
DSC_0996.jpg

Roscobbc

First drive on the road, few things to sort. I’m finding the change from 3rd to 2nd very tricky. Hurst shifter, just constantly seem to be going all the way across to reverse, any thoughts?

View attachment 13772
Is it a new Hurst shifter? - did it come with the alignment tool? - its only a nylon or plastic 'L' shaped rod that passes through all shifter plates before linkages are connected. A correctly sized drill bit would do the same job. Are the shifter rods around the correct way?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Is it a new Hurst shifter? - did it come with the alignment tool? - its only a nylon or plastic 'L' shaped rod that passes through all shifter plates before linkages are connected. A correctly sized drill bit would do the same job. Are the shifter rods around the correct way?

No it’s an original shifter. Alignment is fine, I set it with a drill bit. That’s not the bit I’m finding tricky. I find it very easy to go beyond the spring tension for first/second and all the way towards the left for reverse.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Congrats on getting the car back on the road - a monumentous day (y) (y) (y) ......so how was it to drive? (other than the shifter)

Fire extinguisher rattles something horrific, 1st gear is the only one you need for legal speeds. Needs a tweak to the front tracking Not really put my foot down but even off cam below 4K it pulls well enough. 30-60 just happens. Clutch is stupidly heavy. Typical race car with a big engine.

Suspension is surprisingly compliant even with the HD springs.

Will need a couple of longer journeys to get to grips with it.

Roscobbc

No it’s an original shifter. Alignment is fine, I set it with a drill bit. That’s not the bit I’m finding tricky. I find it very easy to go beyond the spring tension for first/second and all the way towards the left for reverse.
One of the very first things I did with mine (all those years ago) was to swap-out the worn-out stock shifter for the Hurst. I had similar issues to you. Chalk and Cheese. One of the things I like is the adjustable HD bolts used to limit shifter throw. Probably important for race use as you can shift as hard as you like knowing that the bolts will take the abuse (I wouldn't be confident that the stock shifter would cope so well) Shifting 'quality' was vastly improved. Just make sure that the individual shifter arms that are affixed to the selector shafts are 'tight' with no 'slop' - these are case hardened but can wear reducing shifter accuracy a little.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
One of the very first things I did with mine (all those years ago) was to swap-out the worn-out stock shifter for the Hurst. I had similar issues to you. Chalk and Cheese. One of the things I like is the adjustable HD bolts used to limit shifter throw. Probably important for race use as you can shift as hard as you like knowing that the bolts will take the abuse (I wouldn't be confident that the stock shifter would cope so well) Shifting 'quality' was vastly improved. Just make sure that the individual shifter arms that are affixed to the selector shafts are 'tight' with no 'slop' - these are case hardened but can wear reducing shifter accuracy a little.

I stripped and rebushed it. Like you say probably just getting used to it.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Temp gauge is still fluctuating wildly 140-200 in a few seconds. I think it might be air around the sender so I stuck a screwdriver in the top hose and let a bit of bubbly coolant out. In the good news section I seem to have fixed the water pump leak. Gearbox seems better when warm.

Brakes are still the same, visibility is pants and no idea how anyone runs this exhaust on a road car, my head is still ringing after a 30 min drive, ear plugs next time. Put some fuel in and had the staff come out to take photos leaving a bemused lady inside presumably buying cat food or other non car related product.

Last edited:

kentvette

CCCUK Member
It looks great! That's going to be sooo different from the Mini once you get to a race track :)

Are you planning on road miles to get accustomed, or tack to a track day or similar.

I remember many years ago now, talking to Olly Gavin about the noise in the old C5R GT1 - a story he later put in print somewhere. Other drivers always asked why the Corvette pilots couldn't hear them approaching from behind and he always laughed and asked them if they had ever driven a C5R.... He used to be "deaf" for days afterwards!

johng

CCCUK Member
I think the visibility (or lack of) is something that you get used to. At least you don't have to worry about hitting things when parking on a racetrack (mind you probably best not to follow too close behind another car).

Oneball

CCCUK Member
It looks great! That's going to be sooo different from the Mini once you get to a race track :)

Are you planning on road miles to get accustomed, or tack to a track day or similar.

I remember many years ago now, talking to Olly Gavin about the noise in the old C5R GT1 - a story he later put in print somewhere. Other drivers always asked why the Corvette pilots couldn't hear them approaching from behind and he always laughed and asked them if they had ever driven a C5R.... He used to be "deaf" for days afterwards!

Doing some road miles at the moment to iron out any problems and get some time on the engine before I get it on a rolling road. Will then get some testing done. Road miles don’t really help as it doesn’t really work on the road, too bumpy for a start, helps a bit with placing the car and the like.

Olly was talking out of his bottom! You can’t hear anything coming from behind in a race car.