C3 Race Car Build

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I think the visibility (or lack of) is something that you get used to. At least you don't have to worry about hitting things when parking on a racetrack (mind you probably best not to follow too close behind another car).

Oh you do, you wouldn’t believe the amount of times I see people back in to things at race meets.

antijam

CCCUK Member
Oh you do, you wouldn’t believe the amount of times I see people back in to things at race meets.
I can't remember which track but I do remember a Mini driver ( I'm sure it can't have been you Oneball ) returning to the paddock with the 'red mist' still very much in evidence. With careless panache he swung round and reversed at speed into the space he'd just vacated before the race. Unfortunately in the meantime someone else had occupied it......:( The damage was extensive.....

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I reckon I’ve got enough miles on it now that Ive changed out the running in oil for VR1. Measured the exhaust noise at 5000rpm with a phone app. 115db. That’s chuffing loud. Regs for most race cars is 105db. Going to have to do something about that.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I reckon I’ve got enough miles on it now that Ive changed out the running in oil for VR1. Measured the exhaust noise at 5000rpm with a phone app. 115db. That’s chuffing loud. Regs for most race cars is 105db. Going to have to do something about that.

Oneball,
Is it common in the UK to use a rate at Db rather than dbA ?

Just think your exhaust is equal to a leaf blower or a chainsaw :)

062.jpg

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Got some different silencer inserts from the States as it was said that they’re acceptably quiet.
5C9CCF07-3B49-4B26-810B-0DAEA2FC2593.jpeg
Well, they’re not, so that was a waste of money and need to come up with another option

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Windscreen removed.
1653B2E8-1915-4D92-970B-B58D61378A7C.jpeg
And started adjusting the end of the header rail which is holding the corner of the roof high and leaving a gap to the top of the window.
DF83CCF9-E1CA-473F-8BE8-ECBBD0DBC580.jpeg

johng

CCCUK Member
Tim, how easy was it to cut out the windscreen and what did you use? There's no sign of any glue residue or even scratching of the paint, have you cleaned it up and repainted it?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
A right pain. Tried cutting with a knife but hadn’t really got one thin enough and long enough. Tried cutting with a wire but the just splintered bits of glass of the edge. Eventually working from the inside used a pallet/filler knife and hammer and just banged it through the adhesive and inch at a time all the way round.

There’s a couple of bits of paint to touch up. But once the screen was out I could almost peel the adhesive off.

johng

CCCUK Member
Might be okay across the top and the sides, but I doubt it would be long enough to get across the bottom of my screen

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
No it wouldn’t reach the bottom but once three sides are cut you might be able to push the screen out. If you haven’t got one Ive got a spare one you can have.

johng

CCCUK Member
Thanks but no need Andy. I've already got one and anyway I'll let the windscreen company take the screen out this time. Hopefully they have the right tool for the job.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Thanks but no need Andy. I've already got one and anyway I'll let the windscreen company take the screen out this time. Hopefully they have the right tool for the job.

They use a wire. Problem I found was because of avoiding the 90 degree lip it just caught on the screen.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I watched the whole process when the pro`s replaced mine . It took three of them in the end , one being the boss and they really struggled at times ! They used a cutting wire and eventually just about most of the other tools in the depot workshop too ! They did a great job but it made me cringe watching . :eek: Certainly not a task I would want attempt !

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Just about got the roof catch/header corner fitting right now after a lot of filing and started getting the window fitted. Going to get that done before the screen goes in this time!

3ABE48EF-5CE3-40FE-9A80-0A3EE54B89A5.jpeg

Also got a new one from American Glass in Church Stretton, not only localish to me but cheapest too wish I’d known about them before, thanks @johng for mentioning them.

Last edited: