C3 Race Car Build

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Tim, what was it you had to file?

The way the corner repair panel had been pressed meant the inner edge was about where the red line is. I checked the screen fitted and the window but didn’t do so with the roof on which was an error. So the corner header piece that takes the roof catch was sitting high
4A486162-79FA-4CF0-B95E-D842A06344A7.jpeg

Roscobbc

I reckon I’ve got enough miles on it now that Ive changed out the running in oil for VR1. Measured the exhaust noise at 5000rpm with a phone app. 115db. That’s chuffing loud. Regs for most race cars is 105db. Going to have to do something about that.

Got some different silencer inserts from the States as it was said that they’re acceptably quiet.
View attachment 13902
Well, they’re not, so that was a waste of money and need to come up with another option
Oneball - have you considered making your own muffler inserts? - length of perforated tube (large enough diameter not to impede gas flow) supported each end by a welded circular steel former the same diameter as ID of sidepipe (but small enough to allow wrapping perforated core with 'glass wadding or stainless steel wool). If unable to source 'drilled' tube perhaps straight tube witha series of angled sawn slots diagonally across tube top and bottom tube.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Oneball - have you considered making your own muffler inserts? - length of perforated tube (large enough diameter not to impede gas flow) supported each end by a welded circular steel former the same diameter as ID of sidepipe (but small enough to allow wrapping perforated core with 'glass wadding or stainless steel wool). If unable to source 'drilled' tube perhaps straight tube witha series of angled sawn slots diagonally across tube top and bottom tube.

Yes but I’m not sure they’ll get it quiet enough, the side pipes are 4”. the glass pack inserts I’ve got are 2” and I reckon they’re too small as well as too noisy.

I think I can get a 5” OD, 3” ID silencer down there, so I’m going to get a couple made up. Then I can also have the 4” for unsilenced races. Will see if I can get the two tested when I get it on a rolling road.

johng

CCCUK Member
and is the roof catch now as you wanted?
I've just noticed you don't seem to have a metal plate on your screen to hold the rear view mirror. My screen came with one, did yours not have one or have you removed it?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
and is the roof catch now as you wanted?
I've just noticed you don't seem to have a metal plate on your screen to hold the rear view mirror. My screen came with one, did yours not have one or have you removed it?

I think so, I checked the fit of the window before I did the screen and I think it’s ok.

In 1969 the mirror screwed to the header rail, not sure when it changed.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Been have trouble with the needle valve in the secondary float chamber and fuel overflowing, had it out, cleaned it and adjusted it a few times and but it randomly seems to stick.

So had the carb apart and found the float is holed, which is a bit of good news as it’s an identifiable fault I can fix.
0D054A53-DE31-4AD2-97CC-60AFE6E7BFB5.jpeg

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Made up a set of interior door releases from Longbridge’s finest as the originals were foul of the rollcage. Windows and door cards to do.
4B292D53-4A69-4219-B5E7-71E164226649.jpeg