C3 Race Car Build

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Bolted the gearbox up to the engine after work. without the clutch on so I can get at the input shaft.
62EC4BBB-7F2C-42C9-A82E-2D69B444043D.jpeg
There’s no play in the input shaft at all. So I pulled the output yoke off and there’s definite play in the mainshaft. Takes a bit of force to move it probably because the centre bearing is new and wasn’t evident without the box on the engine as I would have been moving the whole box. Fingers crossed that’s the gearbox issue. The bearing surface doesn’t look worn but it obviously moving in the input shaft. Ordered a new mainshaft, bearing and main/input rollers.

I got the torque rating of the clutch wrong it’s over 700ftlbs so no way it’s not man enough. Clutch wise I’m going for operator error at the mo, maybe not bedded in properly and a bit too much clutch slip. There’s no high spots and a lot of the visible bits seems to be impacted friction material. So going to clean it up and fit a ceramic paddle plate and see how it goes.

johng

CCCUK Member
So are the bits you are going to replace not bits that you already replaced when rebuilding the box? If they have been replaced once already, how come they are now toast?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
So are the bits you are going to replace not bits that you already replaced when rebuilding the box? If they have been replaced once already, how come they are now toast?

I didn’t replace the mainshaft shaft. I did the bearings but as the input one has definitely worn and there’s obviously something going on with the input/mainshaft interface I’ll replace those.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Good bit of detective work :)

Yeah, hmmm! I’m not convinced! I’ve also ordered a couple of torque lock synchro sliders. If they’re a nice fit I’ll use them instead of my super duper Italian made lightweight ones. They’re supposed to increase wear as they’re tapered but they do provide a positive locking action, I’m not sure but really don’t want another box out effort, a gasket set is £45 by itself.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I'm just impressed you find the time to keep taking the engine in and out etc. I still haven't found the time to fit my weatherstrip kit I bought ages back :oops:

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
There’s always time, what did you do after work yesterday?
Cooked dinner, had a shower etc etc, got ready for bed.

At the moment my main focus is on the lean-to shed in the garden against the garage, and finishing the garden etc. At the moment all that crap is stored in the garage tucked in around the vehicles. So doing car work would be hard, and yes I do confess that the inclination to do it at the moment is not high because of the fact it'd be hard to do and a lot of my time would just be wasted moving stuff around to get to do car stuff, then moving it back after I've used up the time I've allotted. Excuses I know, but they are real. Still, don't use the Vette in winter so if it sits there without rubber seals for a bit whilst I slowly work on it then it doesn't matter.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Bits turned up today, new vs old mainshaft

9274675B-FEF2-41ED-BE52-74F67ADE5CD7.jpeg

Torque lock sliders fit nicely on the hubs so gone with them. Just awaiting a gasket set.
27DCBB65-9475-4201-936A-095CD7414933.jpeg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Cooked dinner, had a shower etc etc, got ready for bed.

At the moment my main focus is on the lean-to shed in the garden against the garage, and finishing the garden etc. At the moment all that crap is stored in the garage tucked in around the vehicles. So doing car work would be hard, and yes I do confess that the inclination to do it at the moment is not high because of the fact it'd be hard to do and a lot of my time would just be wasted moving stuff around to get to do car stuff, then moving it back after I've used up the time I've allotted. Excuses I know, but they are real. Still, don't use the Vette in winter so if it sits there without rubber seals for a bit whilst I slowly work on it then it doesn't matter.
Don`t forget you have got that model railway layout in the loft to finish too . 🤣

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Don`t forget you have got that model railway layout in the loft to finish too . 🤣
Unfortunately its on pause at the moment. I have the frame and baseboard down all the way, the smaller circle at one end and track running down the long sides of the loft to make the large loop all the way around the loft. Next up will be some shelf brackets to hold the bit of baseboard at the far end that crosses the loft to join them together. Any time I do get for the railway I find is consumed by discovering that the track I tested and was fine last time now has lost electrical conductivity here and there so I have to clean and fix it again. When the whole run is complete I'll then think about doing some of the details I have planned and scenery and other fun stuff. I also need to do some wiring and other stuff, but for now it all about constructing the flats, highs, and lows of where the rails are gonna go.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Unfortunately its on pause at the moment. I have the frame and baseboard down all the way, the smaller circle at one end and track running down the long sides of the loft to make the large loop all the way around the loft. Next up will be some shelf brackets to hold the bit of baseboard at the far end that crosses the loft to join them together. Any time I do get for the railway I find is consumed by discovering that the track I tested and was fine last time now has lost electrical conductivity here and there so I have to clean and fix it again. When the whole run is complete I'll then think about doing some of the details I have planned and scenery and other fun stuff. I also need to do some wiring and other stuff, but for now it all about constructing the flats, highs, and lows of where the rails are gonna go.
Clean track is a must for smooth running and needs to be done regularly as it`s surprising how it attracts dust and muck . I use the very finest grade wet & dry paper sprayed with electrical contact cleaner . Buying a loco wheel cleaner that powers up and rotates all the driving wheels is a good idea too . Keeping plugging away , it`s always a good winter project when the Vettes in bed . (y)

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Went to put a new bearing in the mid plate and there’s some axial play, tilt and it’s free to spin. Not a huge amount and not enough I’d have thought to cause an issue but maybe all the little things add up so I’ve ordered a new one. It’s the only thing that locates the main shaft fore/aft
1AD52937-ED54-4109-9778-E38E2CE60DA3.jpeg

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Clean track is a must for smooth running and needs to be done regularly as it`s surprising how it attracts dust and muck . I use the very finest grade wet & dry paper sprayed with electrical contact cleaner . Buying a loco wheel cleaner that powers up and rotates all the driving wheels is a good idea too . Keeping plugging away , it`s always a good winter project when the Vettes in bed . (y)
I've got one of those loco wheel cleaners - its a good send and never knew about them until my current loft project. I dug out all my old childhood locos and found their wheels very abused. Bit of Googling and found the loco wheel cleaner. It has restored some of my locos. Others need a bit more attention (taking apart). For the track I've got one of those track rubbers to clean the track with. The issue I'm having is with the old track sections I have in my layout. I clean them up and they run fine, then don't work later. The new track sections don't seem to have that problem. We'll get there in the end.

Oh and apologies... I'm ruining a perfectly good race car build thread with railway stuff. Sorry.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Back on track ;)
I’ve found some softer springs that look like they’ll work with the Hurst so going to give it a try on the 1/2 3/4 gate
EABC46C1-4B0A-46A3-A7E8-0FA936D0461A.jpeg