knock offs that wont knock off

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
My mates offside rear came off at low speed fortunately for him. He called me to help and we found the pin missing. Shouldn't have come though if properly fitted but I had to hit it with all my strength to get it to stay on for the 10 mile or so drive home. I told him to get some new pins then pop round and we'll do it together so he knows the procedure. He came completely unprepared to get stuck in but did bring wine so all good 🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷

20210618_183916_resized.jpg

8 Pot

CCCUK Member
a good article. well i cant see that i have pins and i have tried to no avail with my lead hammer and no joy. need a bigger hammer then

Roscobbc

I think it’s usually a 5lb hammer, just give them a wack. Original knock offs do not have safety pins, if no pins on repro wheels , they must just be stuck. A good few racks and a little wiggle and they should spin off. Nothing else is holding them off.
Makes me wonder why GM called them “quick take off wheels”
Perhaps "quick to nick" ?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Arrow on spinner denotes which way to turn. Can’t remember if they are reverse or not. Mine haven’t been off for years

8 Pot

CCCUK Member
good point i never thought of that. wonder if they are on the wrong way on the car. i am sure on the passenger side of mine off is anti clockwise for off

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
good point i never thought of that. wonder if they are on the wrong way on the car. i am sure on the passenger side of mine off is anti clockwise for off

I did mentioned direction earlier. Mine are the way I listed and were when I bought the car under a year ago. When I took the wheels off to have new tyres installed I made sure to make sure they went back on as they came off, marked the hub and spinner and they've never moved a smidge. Won't do any harm to give them a good whack opposite to the OFF markings in case they are on the wrong side. Put a pencil mark on the edges to see if they start to go.

8 Pot

CCCUK Member
well for sure my wheels on the passenger side it is indicating that off would be anti clockwise and that is in contrast to yours and also in that article. it is saying the standard thread is drivers so off would be anti clockwise and for the passenger off would be clockwise

or am i getting confused

8 Pot

CCCUK Member
really? i was told there was specific right and left hand sided ones. if you have one on the driver side saying anti clockwise for off and then put it on the passenger side it will still be telling you that wont it? and from everything i have read here that isnt the case

Oneball

CCCUK Member
really? i was told there was specific right and left hand sided ones. if you have one on the driver side saying anti clockwise for off and then put it on the passenger side it will still be telling you that wont it? and from everything i have read here that isnt the case

Yes there are, they’re sideed but the arrow on the spinner will always tell you the correct way to undo, even if the assembly is on the wrong side, it still undos in the direction of the arrow.

8 Pot

CCCUK Member
my brain hurts. i think i still need a bigger hammer. one coming wednesday. scared of smashing into the car though

8 Pot

CCCUK Member
herts but the car is in Letchworth. my mechanic is coming wednesday to change the jets and bringing a bigger hammer. my german toy i bought looks pretty and i am sure will be fine once i have loosened them.

8 Pot

CCCUK Member
exactly what i have got but with an extended torque wrench and then a scaffold pole over the top of that it was having none of it