knock offs that wont knock off

8 Pot

CCCUK Member
Perhaps a light coating of copper infused grease on threads before re-assembly ?
definately
Glad you sorted it out. When you have the wheels put back on, YOU tighten them up either with your new hammer or spinner tool. That way you will be able to loosen when needed
Yes why I bought the tool so that I could get some sort of science applied to it as ones man hammer, one mans arm, etc. . Am going for 75lbs

8 Pot

CCCUK Member
couldnt make it up. now i find out my socket wrench doesnt work both ways so i get the click on one side of the car but not the other

Oneball

CCCUK Member
couldnt make it up. now i find out my socket wrench doesnt work both ways so i get the click on one side of the car but not the other

Torque wrenches often only work in one direction. Can you push the 1/2 inch square drive out and reverse it?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Here’s the other specialty knock off spinner wrench/tool for corvette mid year spinners.
Available from all the leading US corvette parts suppliers. About $300
A1A6A28B-CB31-4711-8932-3A3EF07FE1F4.jpeg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
@8pot, please let us know if the oldtimer gadget is any good . Been thinking about getting a tool of sorts for my wheels, don’t take them off for years, but like gadgets.

8 Pot

CCCUK Member
@8pot, please let us know if the oldtimer gadget is any good . Been thinking about getting a tool of sorts for my wheels, don’t take them off for years, but like gadgets.
Silly money personally but for sure it is really good and works a treat. I am an engineer so like things like that. I can't do big hammer stuff I need exact. I love cooking but the same. Can't do Jamie oliver and a "glug". I today bought my second torque wrench that measures both ways. To a novice buyer this is NOT "reversible" I now know £60 later. Some might laugh I paid for my German wheel nut tool but it is exact and I sleep well. Not to say a feckin huge slap with a lead hammer won't do the same. That is also know

8 Pot

CCCUK Member
So I got from knebworth to the roundabout on top of the M1 at Luton before the front right cap and spinner came flying off. The wheel dropped but was kept in place by being under the wheel arch.
Managed to retrieve the parts, jack it up and put it all back together. I skipped the 75lb and went to 100lb torque. Got on the M1 and made it to junction 14 and half way through Milton Keynes before it came off again. Repeated procedure but this time stood up on the wrench and bounced on it. Got close to the navigation pub and yes you have guessed it......
They couldn't do lunch as full so had a nice lunch round the corner then headed for stony Stratford. Found a hardware store and got a Thor hammer and a pack of 3/8th bolts. Banged the spinner round until the holes lined up, popped the bolt in, banged the head to one side so the cap would fit. Got all the way home not using a motorway no surprises. Anyone tells you they can't come off poke them in the eye ok.
Need to get proper pins and fresh pants.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
That’s bad luck. I’ve never had one undo. Did you get to the bottom of whether the were on the correct side. MG one for example

3CB5EC2F-3FD9-4CCD-8F8C-4CF25CACDAA0.jpeg
And Corvette
F178B1F2-8BA9-45B1-B677-83920DE07D5C.jpeg

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Wow, you sure had an eventful day there.
75lbs or even 100lbs torque doesn’t sound like anywhere near enough to me, particularly if not pinned.
When I race car mechanic‘ed years ago on a car with a single centre wheel nut (a big nut) the torque was something enormous like 175lbs ….and then a safety pin went through the stub too. Different thread design to spinners I know. The last thing the driver would ask before we had to clear off the grid was “Are the wheels tight”😄

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
So I got from knebworth to the roundabout on top of the M1 at Luton before the front right cap and spinner came flying off. The wheel dropped but was kept in place by being under the wheel arch.
Managed to retrieve the parts, jack it up and put it all back together. I skipped the 75lb and went to 100lb torque. Got on the M1 and made it to junction 14 and half way through Milton Keynes before it came off again. Repeated procedure but this time stood up on the wrench and bounced on it. Got close to the navigation pub and yes you have guessed it......
They couldn't do lunch as full so had a nice lunch round the corner then headed for stony Stratford. Found a hardware store and got a Thor hammer and a pack of 3/8th bolts. Banged the spinner round until the holes lined up, popped the bolt in, banged the head to one side so the cap would fit. Got all the way home not using a motorway no surprises. Anyone tells you they can't come off poke them in the eye ok.
Good to hear you got home ok eventually 8 Pot , and managed to get a nice lunch too . It was unfortunate that the Navigation could not fit you and your mates in but that place is always busy any day of the week and booking is usually essential . Was it Odell`s hardware store on Stony Stratford High Street ? ( see photo taken at the Stoney Classic ) .DSC_0455.JPGIf so it`s been there for donkeys years and sells just about everything . It`s like that scene from the `Two Ronnies ` inside . :LOL:

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member

Sh*t that's the stuff of nightmares there. You did well to keep going as most would have called a recovery I would think. Frame the soiled shorts as a reminder to always check them. I use a sharpie to mark a line on the hub & spinner so a quick glance tells me they're ok or not. During your ordeal I found that the stainless steel pins the previous owner had made on mine can encourage corrosion so I'll be ordering a set of aluminium pins from CK asap

8 Pot

CCCUK Member
Wow, you sure had an eventful day there.
75lbs or even 100lbs torque doesn’t sound like anywhere near enough to me, particularly if not pinned.
When I race car mechanic‘ed years ago on a car with a single centre wheel nut (a big nut) the torque was something enormous like 175lbs ….and then a safety pin went through the stub too. Different thread design to spinners I know. The last thing the driver would ask before we had to clear off the grid was “Are the wheels tight”😄
Yes my thinking too especially how hard they were to get off.

8 Pot

CCCUK Member
Good to hear you got home ok eventually 8 Pot , and managed to get a nice lunch too . It was unfortunate that the Navigation could not fit you and your mates in but that place is always busy any day of the week and booking is usually essential . Was it Odell`s hardware store on Stony Stratford High Street ? ( see photo taken at the Stoney Classic ) .View attachment 16136If so it`s been there for donkeys years and sells just about everything . It`s like that scene from the `Two Ronnies ` inside . :LOL:
Yes Odell's. What a cool shop it's got everything. We were looking at mallets and the old guy came over to help. When we told what we were planning to do with it he said "no you need the real thing" and took us to the serious damage section and pulled out a Thor. It is the shop that is like a TARDIS.

8 Pot

CCCUK Member
Sh*t that's the stuff of nightmares there. You did well to keep going as most would have called a recovery I would think. Frame the soiled shorts as a reminder to always check them. I use a sharpie to mark a line on the hub & spinner so a quick glance tells me they're ok or not. During your ordeal I found that the stainless steel pins the previous owner had made on mine can encourage corrosion so I'll be ordering a set of aluminium pins from CK asap
What is CK? They are just basic ally pins so I was wondering if anyone knows the diameter ?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Yes Odell's. What a cool shop it's got everything. We were looking at mallets and the old guy came over to help. When we told what we were planning to do with it he said "no you need the real thing" and took us to the serious damage section and pulled out a Thor. It is the shop that is like a TARDIS.
It`s one of those rare and proper Ironmongers that makes the likes of B&Q et al look like a toy shop ! I could browse in Odells for hours . :D

8 Pot

CCCUK Member
I think I was lucky with the design of the front wing that trapped the wheel each time. A different model the wheel would have been in the next county.