My Questions

James Vette

CCCUK Member
What's the best way to get car history? I thought it would be cool to find out what my stingray has been through in america. I have a corvette museum lifetime member sticker so it must have been properly enjoyed and cherished.

antijam

CCCUK Member
Without some sort of paper trail that might have come with the car, tracing its history won't be easy James. Did you get a copy of Title from the last owner in the States? It's worth checking your VIN in the C3 Registry if you haven't already entered your ownership there. It may throw up some details of a previous owner.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
You need a point to start from James, if you have a copy of the US title it was imported on, you’ve got a starting point.
It will have the owners name and address, and you can contact the local DMV to see what details they carry and then trace it back. The USA is different to the UK, each state has multiple DMV’s ( department of Motor vehicles)
It is usually very difficult if cars travel about ie to different states, and will be expensive and time consuming, but quite fun to do.

Last edited:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
What's the best way to get car history? I thought it would be cool to find out what my stingray has been through in america. I have a corvette museum lifetime member sticker so it must have been properly enjoyed and cherished.
would be good to know some of the previous life. My PO in the usa sent me a pic of mine before the restoration was started. Bearing in mind it had been stood for twenty years before he bought it, the car looks to have been a pretty good starting point and quite a together car πŸ‘
Good luck with your research. F5F0680D-36BF-4069-9FFA-34E2115A07B4.jpeg0874DC97-002C-4967-B26B-3BFA6E4268C5.jpeg

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Would anyone be interested in trading vettes? (70-72, because I like the egg crate grill). Mine just needs paint work and some TLC but I would honestly like to avoid the paint process as it seems like a headache but I'm saving up for it right now anyway. I guess if you ever wanted a red on red numbers matching engine 71 auto 350 then it would be a great trade for you. I'm not promising anything because I might change my mind but I thought I should ask and see if anyone is interested and what someone would offer. I'm not saying red is a bad colour at all but I prefer blue or silver or maybe something more funky like war bonnet yellow. Thanks.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
but I prefer blue
Mine is not available for swap or sale, mostly because:
  1. Other than not being a big block, my C3 is the exact spec I want (chrome bumpers, manual gearbox, power windows, power steering, power brakes, sidepipes etc).
  2. Its the perfect colour I wanted.
  3. I have to have a manual gearbox, couldn't live with an auto (sorry).
  4. The wife would kill me if I sold / got rid of the Vette as she loves it too.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Would anyone be interested in trading vettes? (70-72, because I like the egg crate grill). Mine just needs paint work and some TLC but I would honestly like to avoid the paint process as it seems like a headache but I'm saving up for it right now anyway. I guess if you ever wanted a red on red numbers matching engine 71 auto 350 then it would be a great trade for you. I'm not promising anything because I might change my mind but I thought I should ask and see if anyone is interested and what someone would offer. I'm not saying red is a bad colour at all but I prefer blue or silver or maybe something more funky like war bonnet yellow. Thanks.
I thought you were considering selling it because you couldn`t afford the insurance ???

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
you would be lucky to find someone willing to do a swap unless it was for a car that is in a similar state to yours, ie needing paint and tlc. You should know your own car by now and at least you know what needs doing . To start over on a swapped car that may have more issues than your own. I love the egg crates on the 70/72’s most too so I went for these years , I also wanted a 4 speed , small block and s previous body off resto for peace of mind. If the work has been done then you will to a degree have to stump up for that. Otherwise any car that is a runner and driver and hasnt had paint is going to need a lot of money spent to get it up to scratch. Good luck with the hunt but be careful what you wish /swap for, better a red on red with some issues , that you know , than a blue with half decent paint but untouched drivetrain/ engine.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
James , I think a large dose of `reality check ` would be the best course of action right now . Buying a model of car that you don`t really want and a colour you don`t really because it`s all you can afford is guaranteed to end in tears .

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
β€œBuy in haste, repent in leisure β€œ springs to mind.
Many purchases are bought by the heart, once reality sets in, it can sometimes be a millstone around your neck.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hold on guys, I have alot of respect for James, at a time when many thought he was a young messer he nipped out and bought a chrome bumper car. Go easy on him.
β€œBuy in haste, repent in leisure β€œ springs to mind.
Many purchases are bought by the heart, once reality sets in, it can sometimes be a millstone around your neck.
[/QUOTE so did I , and still do , even to the point of suggesting help with his insurance. I am just suggesting his car is probably a lot better than a lot of others out there, hence to make sure he doesnt swap for something worse.
(Ps) While we are talking of swaps , … if anyone has a nicely sorted LT1 ,………..πŸ˜‰πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Yeah I love classic cars so much and I didn't want to be one of those people that says "I'll do that one day" and never does.