My Questions

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I have one (not for sale), and Mad, here is what yours would look like with the blue (and OMG I'd forgotten how small that council garage was that I used to store it in for a while - literally about a centimetre or two smaller than the garage opening. I rarely drove the car back then as it was a PITA getting it in there):
View attachment 19046
I wonder how many people have damaged their cars getting in and out of their garage?

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Does E10 or E5 give better MPG? Also I've heard that E10 is a scam by our government to make us spend even more money on fuel that is "not fit for purpose". I guess the fuel damages modern cars as well as classics but slower on modern cars? And the "environmental impact" is a very small difference so not worth using E10? Thanks.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Ethanol has been a scam from day 1
It was to pander to farmers and anyone else who would profit from taking all the corn away from use for foods
solely for their votes in elections

Ethanol produces less HP, less energy, less fuel mileage and will eat whatever it can
It also attracts water which is heaver than gas, so it fails to the bottom of gas tanks and as to vehicle gas tanks that
water builds to a higher level and if you run down too low gas levels than the fuel pump will pick up that water and
send it inside the engine
It will cause the engines to run leaner causing engine knock, cause hotter cylinder temps and cause buildup on spark plugs

Since Ethanol comes from corn, this causes Biological Organisms to grow in the fuel tank and anywhere else and build up
Since it is a cleaner, the fuel tanks at gas stations over years have filth in them, ethanol then cleans that crude off the insides of tanks and pumps
it into your tank
Ethanol, especially in higher concentrations such as E15, can cause damage to older vehicles.
Ethanol will cause metal corrosion and dissolve certain plastics and rubbers, especially in older vehicles that were not constructed with ethanol-compatible materials.
If a vehicle was designed for straight gas, then that is all the nameplate like GM will warranty for,
in fact, like with the C5 GM stated in writing that any damage to the vehicle in using Ethanol, voided GM warranty for such damage

Since Ethanol, it is common for vehicles to report how much fuel is in the tank because it eats the electronics for the fuel sender/float and that causes a resistance value change fooling the fuel gauge to report amount of fuel incorrectly

Of course all the damage, if gas powered lawn movers, boat engines, motorcycles, you name it along with all the fuel system in your C3 that was not designed for Ethanol, of course that means your C3

Guess you can tell I hate fricking gas with corn in it ! :)

See, you should have not asked, because you will get nightmares now ! :)

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Real damage from Ethanol and some repairs are not cheap for the Corvette
Starting with the C5 has 2 gas tanks, a transfer tube between them
When Ethanol eats the couples to fix it, yank the whole ass end out for a 20-minute repair job

c6tanks.jpg

sender.jpg

Eats plastic, too !
Causing fuel leak cracks

crack755.jpg

I had to replace the left pump and sender on my 1999 C5
Notice how long this is and also the length of float
This mounts in the left tank horizontally and is close to rear wheel A arm
Real bitch to replace

leftpump.jpg

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I wonder how many people have damaged their cars getting in and out of their garage?
In those teeny tiny garages I pictured above? Wouldn't surprise me.

In completely unrelated news, did you know that the sound of fibreglass cracking on a Corvette's rear wheel arch is audible over the sound of said Corvette's sidepipes? So I've been told anyway.... honestly I wouldn't know personally. :whistle:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
In those teeny tiny garages I pictured above? Wouldn't surprise me.

In completely unrelated news, did you know that the sound of fibreglass cracking on a Corvette's rear wheel arch is audible over the sound of said Corvette's sidepipes? So I've been told anyway.... honestly I wouldn't know personally. :whistle:
I hope you never find out if it’s true or not.

James Vette

CCCUK Member
@teamzr1 Exactly what I thought. Yet another scam to trick the public into thinking the overlords are good people. Sorry to hear about your C5. I put E10 in my C3 twice because I had no other choice and the engine kept stalling when at traffic lights. So much headache owning a car! 😫

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Upgrading the hood to a LT1 or Big Block one on a early C3 ie 1968-73 was always a popular thing to do on a standard hooded corvette.
Factory hoods were available over the counter at very reasonable prices. Then the aftermarket ones started to appear, and were even cheaper.

I wanted a functional hood that pulled in colder air and then hot engine bay air pulled out
so I had this one designed

This allowed the older air coming off the windshield to flow into the engine bay and then the air flowing from the front causes the hot air to be extracted out
Did thermal testing in different areas of the engine bay which stays much cooler including air in the intake manifold for a better charge to the cylinders

extracthood.jpg

RebelS11.jpg

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Does anyone else get scared of pressing the high beams when resting their foot? 🥵
no chance of that james , i dont think its a girlie micro switch under that carpet, mine needs a fair old press of the size nine’s !😁
In the bonnet on my hood - no. They are just a style piece and the vents just go down into a dip behind a fancy shiny bit. Shame really, as I was hoping they would actually have airflow.
Does anyone else get scared of pressing the high beams when resting their foot? 🥵
. Lovely on a C2, not so good on the C3. I would change to an Lt 1 in a shot but would keep the stock hood over a stinger or L88 or louvred or extra vented after market t

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
@CaptainK you could cut the inside to make it work, wouldn't even be noticeable if a bodge job.
It'd be noticeable when I left the bonnet open at shows. But yes, I did consider cutting out some holes in it for ventilation. But I has the scares..... and rain might go down there.... but then I don't ever use the car in the rain so that doesn't matter. :ROFLMAO: Maybe I should have a little electric flap in them that opens up when I want them too?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
How about closed with a water sensitive trigger? Sorry, I have started on the wine.

When I designed my hood I took some yarn that is used for knitting, that is very light and taped strips of it by the two intake holes
and the two exhaust hoes and drove at different speeds with a video camera recording and then replayed that to see which way the air moved

No real water would get in as it would be carried above and rearward

eb4.jpg

I also installed 2 drain stubs that hose could be connected to and then drain down on the ground and that might only be happening when washed the C5

extracthood.jpg

In 22 years, no water has gotten into the engine bay