Nice looking Vettes with Attitude here please

James Vette

CCCUK Member
B1E42301-9611-44CA-8EC2-DFB80C5A40B5.jpeg
I found a 68 stingray in 70s new york footage. Someone in the comments said they had a 68 coronet in 73 and the monthly payment was $15! o_O

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Yes, I remember when she was wizzing about in that. Jock was a “barge man” usually drove a Lincoln Continental MKV. Always a good selection of cars in Dallas.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
View attachment 17034
I found a 68 stingray in 70s new york footage. Someone in the comments said they had a 68 coronet in 73 and the monthly payment was $15! o_O
You can finance anything in the States, well at least you could then. Car payments in relation to earning were Low. Most people never finished paying for their car, it was traded in and you just refinanced the new one.
That’s one of the good things American gave the world. Finance. Why wait? Get it Now, pay for it later.
Higher purchase or HP as it was know in the UK, was frowned upon when it first arrived, but it soon caught on.

Roscobbc

You can finance anything in the States, well at least you could then. Car payments in relation to earning were Low. Most people never finished paying for their car, it was traded in and you just refinanced the new one.
That’s one of the good things American gave the world. Finance. Why wait? Get it Now, pay for it later.
Higher purchase or HP as it was know in the UK, was frowned upon when it first arrived, but it soon caught on.
Biggest problem with 'Hire Purchase' was that legally you didn't actually own the item purchased untill you made the final payment. Miss a payment a inscrutable finace companies and recovery agents had a good reason to 'snatch' the goods back.....and you'd potentially loose all payments made so far and perhaps the goods themselves. For many buyers the down payment in the first place was (depending on goverment edict at the time) often 40 or 50% of the purchase price.
Later (and financially 'kinder') Credit sale agreements would follow later, although not always for high value items like cars.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
My dad told me that when he got married in 1958 he put their bedroom furniture “ on the book”. His mum and dad were not happy.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Lombard Tricity was always good for car finance, we financed a lot of people with them. Once they signed, it wasn’t our problem.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Re the ownership of said item , I think that’s always the case. You do not own it until you’ve paid for it in full. Bit like a mortgage, you don’t get your deeds until it’s all paid up.
Finance was a new thing when it arrived here ( or so I’m told) but it soon caught on, and it is a great thing if your in control of it. If it suddenly controls you then it’s a bad thing.

Roscobbc

Early 70's and UK government relaxed finance rules for purchases of domestic items. No longer were huge deposits required, just one weekly or monthly payment up front. Balance could be up to 3, 4 or 5 years. Interest was horrendous often more than item purchased.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Well spotted on the rims James, but it was the fact that the car is RHD. Well done Mr Gump.
I wondered if the image had been mirrored, which I think sometimes happens to avoid a copyright? But that can’t be the case in this photo because the tyre lettering would be backwards.