What have YOU being doing or are you planning to do with your Vette?

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Today is a nice sunny day here, so it'd be nice to finally get the Vette out. The problems are:
  1. Work. By the time I finish it'll be raining, or dark, or both.
  2. My vette is on the wrong side of the garage currently due to DIY stuff on the other side where it normally lives. This means my "daily drive" is currently on the driveway in front of it. The problem here is that I haven't used my daily in ages and it might not start.
  3. The Vette is all protected, but the other side of the garage has lots of dirt and dust etc from my DIY project. Unfortunately, side pipes would blow that all over the place.
  4. You're probably thinking "well push the daily out the way, and push the Vette out of the garage before starting". Well go you for fantastic thinking.... if you could come around with a few strong people and push both cars uphill that would be fab (my driveway slopes down to the garage).

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Today is a nice sunny day here, so it'd be nice to finally get the Vette out. The problems are:
  1. Work. By the time I finish it'll be raining, or dark, or both.
  2. My vette is on the wrong side of the garage currently due to DIY stuff on the other side where it normally lives. This means my "daily drive" is currently on the driveway in front of it. The problem here is that I haven't used my daily in ages and it might not start.
  3. The Vette is all protected, but the other side of the garage has lots of dirt and dust etc from my DIY project. Unfortunately, side pipes would blow that all over the place.
  4. You're probably thinking "well push the daily out the way, and push the Vette out of the garage before starting". Well go you for fantastic thinking.... if you could come around with a few strong people and push both cars uphill that would be fab (my driveway slopes down to the garage).
Best stay home , not drive the Vette and be miserable then ! ☹️ :LOL:

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Did anyone get any use of the sun today? I saw an orange 77-78 trans am looked awesome and an 80s impact bumper porsche. My car wouldn't start even though the battery had been unplugged and was not flat... Typical for my day off.

Last edited:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Only been doing mundane stuff today in the glorious winter sun , but at least it was cruzin in the Hemi Jeep with some good ole Country Rock on the CD and a nice V8 woofle as a back beat . :D
Hopefully the temperature will creep up a bit next week and I can brave the workshop and carry on with the jobs I started on the Vette .

HJG

Well-known user
Did anyone get any use of the sun today? I saw an orange 77-78 trans am looked awesome and an 80s impact bumper porsche. My car wouldn't start even though the battery had been unplugged and was not flat... Typical for my day off.
Sounds like you're settling into Corvette ownership!

fine69

Busy user
We're OK here - Dad alright? - looking to potentially move the Vette on (after 20 years) - maybe replace with something a little more civilised - perhaps a late C6>
Yes Dad reluctantly moved over here a short while after I did. He moaned about the weather in Kent so I'm not sure why he moved here! Bit of a Yanky car drought over here. Oh I long for Wheels day! Nice drives though, and met lots of new people.
I don't blame you for wanting a car you can just get in and drive re a c5/6/7 I do think that sometimes but then don't. I might get an `electron Blue Z06 one day...

Let us know what you do with your Vette?

Roscobbc

Yes Dad reluctantly moved over here a short while after I did. He moaned about the weather in Kent so I'm not sure why he moved here! Bit of a Yanky car drought over here. Oh I long for Wheels day! Nice drives though, and met lots of new people.
I don't blame you for wanting a car you can just get in and drive re a c5/6/7 I do think that sometimes but then don't. I might get an `electron Blue Z06 one day...

Let us know what you do with your Vette?
Even though we have 'historic' status on our cars and can avoid the new ULEZ charges it seems that Khan thoughts about cars in London have led him to suggest additional charges for driving a car in London AND further extending the ULEZ zone to cover all London boroughs. How long before some of the exemptions that Historic status allows will be cancelled........?

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Even though we have 'historic' status on our cars and can avoid the new ULEZ charges it seems that Khan thoughts about cars in London have led him to suggest additional charges for driving a car in London AND further extending the ULEZ zone to cover all London boroughs. How long before some of the exemptions that Historic status allows will be cancelled........?
He is talking of introducing pay per mile driven, I heard today 🤔

antijam

CCCUK Member
So is mine. I'm trying to overhaul my trailing arms and after bribing the pivot bolts to come out with generous doses of PlusGas failed, I spent some cold and unrewarding hours today trying to cut them off with my Sawzall. All I got for my efforts was some blunted blades and frozen fingers. I've ordered some Tungsten Carbide replacements (for the blades, not my fingers) in the hope that they'll be more effective. There have got to be better ways of passing your twilight years than farting about with old cars......:(;)
Well, the Carbide blades eventually did the business. Only having the car up on the QuickJack made access to the inner side of the arm with the Sawzall not easy, so since I'm replacing the arms anyway I sawed the old one off.....

P1370575.JPG
... to improve access and eventually completed cuts through both sides of the bolt - and through the shims, since they didn't slide out either.

The remaining outer end of the bolt dropped out easily but the stub of the inner end - arrowed below .....

stub.JPG

.....will not shift, despite repeated attacks with a club hammer and chisel and with an air hammer. I don't want extraction to end up with a distorted hole in the frame from too much thumping, so I'm going to try getting some serious heat into the stub to break the rust bond free - hopefully without setting fire to the body or igniting any fuel vapours in the tank area.

....and then there's the other side to tackle. (What happened to all the easy jobs?) :(:(