What Have You Found To Watch?

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Only in the U S of A ! Call that a bend , it`s only a minor kink in the road . :LOL:

At that speed its a bend.
Ive only ridden bikes up to 150 mph on straight sections of (private) road, they are going faster around bends.
I found out how twisty a 'straight' (private) road is when i drove a car at an indicated 140mph (130 real) down it.. suddenly it wasnt straight anymore, the less straight parts being quite scary just hoping the tyres would hang on.

Roscobbc

The first time I drove at an indicated 135mph was in my modded '66 4 speed Galaxie 7 Litre. This was on the A12 Eastern Avenue dual carriageway. I mention dual carriageway 'cos it needed that amount of road space to phsically keep on it!

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Only in the U S of A ! Call that a bend , it`s only a minor kink in the road . :LOL:
That is the Silver state Classic ORR in Nevada
I have run that several times
Distance of race is 90 miles

Here is the 180 MPH average speed I ran in my 1994 ZR-1 Corvette racer
Thus was through the mountains with many blind turns, cattle and snakes gets on road you had to watch for.

morrisonvette.jpg

I had to do all the math beforehand to figure out each turn in road so that I could compute by elapsed time when they were coming up as
most use another person as a navigator to tell the driver when to make the turns
I never used another person so did both tasks.
Traveled each mile in about 20 seconds
I would make up a spreadsheet and calculate each turn and elapse mile
Then using my brain power :) to translate my calculations
Using 2 toilet paper rolls, some curtain rod, made this to tape onto the center of steering wheel and with thick racing Nomex gloves would turn
the rolls with my thumb to keep track when turns were coming
navtool.jpg
Covered the 90 miles in about 30 minutes flat
Lost about 10 pounds of body weight as you sweat a real lot !
After about 10 minutes your mind gets used to the amount of road covered so quickly that after that it is like your going slow
and the hard turns, sweeps, and S curves seem like you going in a straight line
Real bitch after the race as it takes like 2 days to slow down in normal driving :)
My speed/time course notes

ss180.jpg

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
That is some serious motoring and preparation ! I am over awed by bit all .
Imagine you might wait longer in time waiting for your turn then it takes to do the 90 miles

Anyone who says they do NOT lose sleep the night before is either lying or stupid

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
90 miles in 30 minutes is really going some.. impressive.

I found out in 1989 coming back from Scotland on a new 750cc bike how difficult it is to keep a high average, long stretches at between 100-150mph punctuated by filtering through road works traffic jams and several fuel stops, oh and a police car shadowing me through one county, equated to an average of only 70mph.
Sneaky Copper pretended to be answering an emergency call, blue lights on and went speeding off up ahead then as soon as out of sight tucked in tight ahead of a Truck at 50mph.. fortunately i spotted him in time to hit the brakes and passed him at 70.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I agree Derek
I would have to do the math that to average 180 MPH over 90 miles
Where corners going 155 MPH then on straights I have to go over 180 MPH to then meet the overall averge
Problem is that being through mountain areas the corners cannot be seen so reason I would have to plot
where each corner was in elapsed time and distance and hope I was right to know when to go down to 155
get through corner and then know how long before next corner
Worse are S turns as you may have to make a left turn leading then to a right turn and camber of roads do not exist.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Imagine you might wait longer in time waiting for your turn then it takes to do the 90 miles

Anyone who says they do NOT lose sleep the night before is either lying or stupid
Totally agree with the pre race nerves . Any adrenalin fueled activity has that effect . I played Rugby for 17 years at local club level after playing at what you in the US call high school . I always said that once I stopped peeing like an excited puppy before matches it would be time to quit . The prospect of 80 minutes of possibly having the shit kicked out of you had that effect ! But once the boots were tied on the nerves went and total focus took over . Time to kick shit out of the opposition ! :LOL:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Just what the dashing young British chap of the era should be driving to get the girl ! :love: The 1300 GT was launched in 1969 so being a good 10 ish years old by the time that movie was made , the Yanks would see it as just another1100 GT.jpg old banger import ripe for trashing just like the Citeon DS flying off the top deck of the transporter ! How the values of those have risen in recent years !

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Not too sure about that. I thought the mini was a more gentleman car.
No chance ! It biga.jpgwas more the Carnaby Street set of the Swinging 60`s but that would be in the dark ages for you ! Although some well heeled folks bought into the MIni mania and had flash upgrades by the likes of Radford . Peter Sellars being one who had a Radford Mini Cooper complete with basket weave doors ! :cool: