What rear mufflers are you running if not stock?

Last triumph

Well-known user
From those, my preference is between the Borla S and the Muffler Delete, but none of them a quite there.

This is more like it.... 1m 35s...

Roscobbc

Too loud on a Mustang - guy opposite has a late Mustang with the 10 speed auto and seriously noisy exhausts - even on light throttle running around. Driven hard it attracts far too much attention. Unfortunately your car with a mid 70's compression ratio and 'soft' cam (if the engine is stock) will not sound like the Mustang in the clip.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
How about

Corvette Chambered exhaust​

No Video

Pypes​

Are well known to be aggressive sound and sold for many Corvette years

Have you asked this vendor who is in the UK ?

Jetex

Last triumph

Well-known user
Those Pypes sound good - thanks! I'll see what availability in the UK is.

I do like a chambered system, but I'm only changing the rear mufflers, the rest is staying as it is - I'm on a restricted budget.

Last triumph

Well-known user
Too loud on a Mustang - guy opposite has a late Mustang with the 10 speed auto and seriously noisy exhausts - even on light throttle running around. Driven hard it attracts far too much attention. Unfortunately your car with a mid 70's compression ratio and 'soft' cam (if the engine is stock) will not sound like the Mustang in the clip.
Good point. A, a ZL-1 it is not.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
We're pretty useless here in the UK and don't have these types of exhaust places readily available for such collaborative experimentation. That's not to say they don't exist, just not in my location (or budget).

Like I say, it's a rear muffler replacement exercise and nothing more at this stage.

Yes we do. I needed some realignment work on the '65 and chose these guys. Called them beforehand and they said bring it down. They put it on a lift to see what needed doing an he said £200 to £300. Did it there and then and then only charged the low estimate of £200. Pretty large set up they have and must have seen 15 or so engineers doing stuff and their primary focus is on custom exhausts and all designed and built in house. These will definitely advise you to get what you want and they're local too!

JP Exhausts.PNG

Last triumph

Well-known user
Yes we do. I needed some realignment work on the '65 and chose these guys. Called them beforehand and they said bring it down. They put it on a lift to see what needed doing an he said £200 to £300. Did it there and then and then only charged the low estimate of £200. Pretty large set up they have and must have seen 15 or so engineers doing stuff and their primary focus is on custom exhausts and all designed and built in house. These will definitely advise you to get what you want and they're local too!

View attachment 13800

Excellent, thanks.

Did you use them for alignment or for exhaust work - i.e was the £200 for alignment and did they do front and rear shims?

Roscobbc

Going back many years (60's) before the availability (in the UK anyway) of fancy silencers the accepted mod was a Mini Cooper muffler. This was a relatively large straight through glasspack. Too small a pipesize for Yank vehicles it was the UK's equivalent to the USA's 'straight through' Cherry Bomb and Thrush mufflers of the day (just a bit quieter)
thrush.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Excellent, thanks.

Did you use them for alignment or for exhaust work - i.e was the £200 for alignment and did they do front and rear shims?
Just exhaust. The tips were cross eyed and had to be cut, realigned and tigged. Give them a bell as they may be able to replicate the Dynomax Ultra Flow

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
My stock '81 has a true dual de-cat 2.5 system with stock rear mufflers and to be honest, the sound is just too quiet and un-impressive. There's more fan and intake noise than exhaust, or at least that's how it sounds.

I'd like to replace the rear mufflers with something that are far louder and deeper but am struggling to find something appropriate.

I'm looking to achieve something along the lines of a TVR Griffith in terms of absolute minimum volume and tone, but would like it a little louder than that if I'm honest.

To give you an idea, if stock is 1 out of 10 and straight pipes are a 10 in terms of noise level, I guess I'm looking for a 6-7 - something loud and "wow, listen to how glorious that sounds" without being as obnoxious, anti-social and un-refined as straight pipes.

I considered Dynomas race bullets, but have come to the conclusion that they're just a bit too loud.

I don't like or want the tinny Flowmaster 40s (nor to I like the restrictive design).

Magnaflow sound a bit quiet from what I've heard on Youtube clips.

I ran cherry bombs on a '80 once which was about the right volume, although louder would've been fine, but their tone was a bit flat.

Open to suggestions and ideas.

The Borla ATAKs sound good but very expensive.
Ive got magna flow boxes with 2 1/2 aluminium system and ceramic headers and it sounds really nice, its got enough noise but its not offensive in a 1-10 id rate them 5-6. the largest stockist of c3 parts in the uk keep these in stock too.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Few of us meeting for Brunch at the new Hickory's just outside Wilmslow tomorrow at 10 - 10:30 so if you can make it I'll bring the C3 with the Cherry Bombs? You haven't made a single event this year and this will likely be the last one.. I know you've been working on it so you get a pass :D

And of course we'd all like to see your Corvette (y)

Last triumph

Well-known user
Few of us meeting for Brunch at the new Hickory's just outside Wilmslow tomorrow at 10 - 10:30 so if you can make it I'll bring the C3 with the Cherry Bombs? You haven't made a single event this year and this will likely be the last one.. I know you've been working on it so you get a pass :D

And of course we'd all like to see your Corvette (y)

I'd love to but sadly have family commitments tomorrow which I cannot swerve, but I do look forward to getting out and about and meeting you all.

A quick shot from this morning...

hBRYyDS.jpg

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I have side pipes on my '68. I find it noisy enough for me (bit too noisy at 70mph on the motorway on long journeys), and the people in my village seem to like it too and I get waves and requests for revs etc. Added bonus of noisy side pipes is that you can't hear what the passenger is saying, and you can't hear eco warriors saying how "awesome" the car is. :ROFLMAO:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Happy with the cherry bombs on the red LT-1 but sometimes I get to thinking they're too loud.

Glass Packs on the yellow one are not as loud as the cherry bombs but still pack quite a rumble.

Pop 'round and have a listen
Drove a 78 with cherry bombs and to be honest it was awful, droned at normal road speeds and couldnt hear the stereo. Some folk go the exhaust cutout route to achieve comfort with a bit of noise when in the mood. I find with the 72 on stock mufflers is perfect but i am a 61 year old, I do however remove the rear window which gives an increase in volume , airflow and smiles😁👍

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Drove a 78 with cherry bombs and to be honest it was awful, droned at normal road speeds and couldnt hear the stereo. Some folk go the exhaust cutout route to achieve comfort with a bit of noise when in the mood. I find with the 72 on stock mufflers is perfect but i am a 61 year old, I do however remove the rear window which gives an increase in volume , airflow and smiles😁👍
a '78 probably had a pea-shooter 1 1/2" exhaust?

I'll take the expert opinion of the large lady with pink hair and a ring through her nose I drew up next to who exclaimed that she needed to go home and sit on a towel :unsure: