What rear mufflers are you running if not stock?

Last triumph

Well-known user
Whilst I'm waiting for the Pypes to arrive, I removed the system in prep to measure up for the X pipe....

3mPooO9.jpg

o1DHZfR.jpg

CWo8ifg.jpg

mehXe1o.jpg

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
FYI,
I did a lot of testing on placement of an X-Pipe
The closer to the engine it is placed, the better the exhaust pulses will be to help extract gases out of cylinders
and that makes the next firing of the cylinders a cleaner and better charge
Also helps to generate more low end torque.

I made my X-pipe and where I located it.
In-depth testing and results : X-pipe Project

nfw1.jpg

Last edited:

Last triumph

Well-known user
Thanks, I plan to fit it as far forward as the current system will allow which is just behind the rear transmission mount, as that's where my system merges together.

My primary objective for adding the x-pipe is to balance the exhaust pulse audible tone a little, as I'm not as keen on the true dual sound and prefer some element of 2-1 within the system. If it delivers any gain in performance, that's a bonus.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Dang that design has lots of bends that would induce more back pressure does not help
All those coupling joints sure adds chances of exhaust leaks.

Go for a straight design would even rid some of the unsprung weight.

Last triumph

Well-known user
Dang that design has lots of bends that would induce more back pressure does not help
All those coupling joints sure adds chances of exhaust leaks.

Go for a straight design would even rid some of the unsprung weight.
All true and valid, but it''s a L81 which with a de-cat and less restrictive mufflers is probably putting out just north of 200 bhp. In the chasing performance stakes, the finer design of the exhaust is massively down the priority list, behind heads, compression, cam, 4 bolt bottom end etc, etc..... none of which is getting done. Other than the exhaust, the car is bone stock and factory original and I want to keep it that way.

I have zero interest in performance, the car has more than enough for my cruising about - this is all about sound.

I had a system similar to what you describe on my '80 years ago and I found routing it under the centre cross member on the drivers side tricky as there is no clearance recess for it, therefore hangs low and looks a pit rubbish and doesn't support the use of an x pipe.

Roscobbc

I have an 'X' system on my Vette as Teamzr1 describes which runs off the rear of the Super Comp headers........however the collectors hang quite low and further back under the car, (being almost parallel with the stock exhaust opening through the chassis) and too far to the sides of the chassis, totally in the wrong place to pass through chassis opening and have to run under the chassis. The V8 big block 'thump' is somewhat diminished and smoother at lower RPM's and changes at higher revs perhaps to a multi cylinder 'howl' at higher revs.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I have an 'X' system on my Vette as Teamzr1 describes which runs off the rear of the Super Comp headers........however the collectors hang quite low and further back under the car, (being almost parallel with the stock exhaust opening through the chassis) and too far to the sides of the chassis, totally in the wrong place to pass through chassis opening and have to run under the chassis. The V8 big block 'thump' is somewhat diminished and smoother at lower RPM's and changes at higher revs perhaps to a multi cylinder 'howl' at higher revs.
Yours does sound superb at high revs Ross 👌

Last triumph

Well-known user
I'm running the factory stock stainless 'shorty' style manifolds so will work with what I have.
I'm having a bit of a 'mare wrestling the octopus underneath the car at the moment, but I'm sure patience will be the solution.

Jimkounter

Regular user
I've just fitted magnaflow mufflers to a totally stock '81 system including the cat etc. I'm really disappointed with them. They actually sound quieter than the stock exhaust that was on there. They're almost completely silent. Not at all what I was expecting and I'm a bit miffed after spending so much on them.

Last triumph

Well-known user
I've just fitted magnaflow mufflers to a totally stock '81 system including the cat etc. I'm really disappointed with them. They actually sound quieter than the stock exhaust that was on there. They're almost completely silent. Not at all what I was expecting and I'm a bit miffed after spending so much on them.

Sorry to hear that - I'll do you a deal on my Dynomax Bullets if you want to go to the other extreme!

I'm just wrestling to fit my Pypes items which arrived and are really nice things, just trying to align up all the hangers and tail pipes etc so things fit and hang correctly in the right place.

Roscobbc

If I'm right the Magnaflow mufflers are of the absorbsion tube type - so perforated tubes within the muffler which is packed with sound absorbing wadding material. After a few months crap, carbon, oil etc will gradually permeate the inside of the muffler, making it gradually noisier. It should really crackle when you get on the loud pedal and run up the revs.......but not just yet - be patient!

Last triumph

Well-known user
If I'm right the Magnaflow mufflers are of the absorbsion tube type - so perforated tubes within the muffler which is packed with sound absorbing wadding material. After a few months crap, carbon, oil etc will gradually permeate the inside of the muffler, making it gradually noisier. It should really crackle when you get on the loud pedal and run up the revs.......but not just yet - be patient!
To be fair though, the internet is littered with people saying that their Magnaflows are disappointingly quiet - I think it's just their design overall.

Jimkounter

Regular user
I watched plenty of videos showing a nice bark and rumble and yet these are practically silent. I couldn't recommend them at all. I'll be taking them off and chalking up the £450 as a learning experience.

Roscobbc

I watched plenty of videos showing a nice bark and rumble and yet these are practically silent. I couldn't recommend them at all. I'll be taking them off and chalking up the £450 as a learning experience.
One of our Essex guys has a pair on his '80 C3 and they are fairly 'strident'.....

Jimkounter

Regular user
I'm wondering if these are somehow the quiet versions then. Got them from CK and there wasn't any indication they'd be so quiet. Total disappointment.

Last triumph

Well-known user
The retention of your car won't be helping of course.

I finally got my Pypes fitted up last night with the x-pipe but it was too late to fire up and audition so that will have to wit until the weekend.

I need to fabricate some new tighter angle tail pipes as the Pypes are a few inches longer than the Dynomax so my existing tail pipes will interfere with the rear bumper as they were a shallow 30 degrees. I've ordered a pair of 45 bends which will give me the clearance required.

Last triumph

Well-known user
3z3EQER.jpg

vELApUo.jpg

HnQovPa.jpg

Waiting for the tail pipes to arrive over the weekend hopefully, but I can now at least fire it up for a quick listen, if not a longer run.

PLdeNXY.jpg

Will post a fire up video shortly.....

Last edited:

Last triumph

Well-known user
Wow, I'm so pleased with these - still plenty loud, deep and muscular, but far more refined, less harsh and overall nowhere near as obnoxious as the Dynomax.
Can't wait to get it out on the road.