What rear mufflers are you running if not stock?

Last triumph

Well-known user
I've ordered a set of Dynomax Race Bullets to see how I get on. The car is a toy for the occasional quick blast down the lanes, not for any long distance cruising, conversation or listening to music. If it's too loud, I'll try something different. I've driven a 500 mile round trip on open pipes once so I know what it's all about.

Last triumph

Well-known user
:LOL: needs more ooooomph

The Dynomax Race bullets should restore disorder soon enough.

Amazon tells me they have been despatched....

I've spent too much time at Santa Pod watching Pro-Mods, Outlaw Anglias and Door Slammers rattling the armco and altering the rotational speed of the earth to miss out on some good honest rolling thunder.

Admittedly I'm a good 100+ ci, a mountain range cam and a neutron bomb or two of compression away from matching that sound, but it's a start...

Last triumph

Well-known user
They have arrived and should wake things up a bit....

w8M0Za5.jpg

6677zra.jpg

Now to fit them.....

Last triumph

Well-known user
Need to work out how I'm going to fit them as the existing pipe is a flare/slip joint size, as is the enter to the muffler - might need a butt joint sleeve

Last triumph

Well-known user
Excellent. Sounds great. Have you tried it out on the road?

Yes, just got back - not too loud when cruising, but gets serious when on throttle. I can still have a conversation without difficulty or raised voices and there's no resonant drone, so I couldn't be happier. Lots of snap crackle and pop on over-run which I know is not to everyone's taste, but I really like it so I'm delighted with the outcome.

Roscobbc

Crackling and poping on a non injected/ECU run Vette are generally due to an air leak (or leaks) somewhere on on the exhaust system - allows oxygen in to the exhaust system which will then support combustion of residual fuel in the exhaust gases.......just saying!

Last triumph

Well-known user
Crackling and poping on a non injected/ECU run Vette are generally due to an air leak (or leaks) somewhere on on the exhaust system - allows oxygen in to the exhaust system which will then support combustion of residual fuel in the exhaust gases.......just saying!

Indeed it is. Not sure where it might be getting some air from as the system is pretty much new front to back and I've gone over all the joints etc and can't see, smell or hear any leaks.

Unless it something to do with the smog system air pump permitting air in that way?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Indeed it is. Not sure where it might be getting some air from as the system is pretty much new front to back and I've gone over all the joints etc and can't see, smell or hear any leaks.

Unless it something to do with the smog system air pump permitting air in that way?

Might be worth checking

1. Control valve off smog pump
2. Smog checkvalves
These valves allow the air to go only from the pump and out the exhaust, so they are 1 way valves

81checkvalve.jpgcontrolv.jpg

Common for exhaust carbon to jam these stuck open so now air can not only enter exhaust flow, all the time
but also cause exhaust to flow backwards towards the pump

Easy to test by taking them off and can blow freely from the pump side
but cannot blow through from the exhaust side back to pump

If stuck, could try and soak them in engine cleaner or maybe gas

Else must replace or say F it and if no smog testing then rid that crap off or seal off.

Of course could be any air or exhaust leaks like at exhaust manifold gaskets

Last triumph

Well-known user
Thanks, will take a look. For the avoidance of doubt, the smog pump belt is not in place, but the rest of the AIR system, manifolds etc are as per factory - apart from the cat, obviously.