What rear mufflers are you running if not stock?

Letank

CCCUK Member
Yes, just got back - not too loud when cruising, but gets serious when on throttle. I can still have a conversation without difficulty or raised voices and there's no resonant drone, so I couldn't be happier. Lots of snap crackle and pop on over-run which I know is not to everyone's taste, but I really like it so I'm delighted with the outcome.
Sounds great. I’m looking at changing the rear mufflers on my 69. It has Dynomax super turbo mufflers on it at the moment but they are much too quiet for my liking. What is the part number of the race bullets you went for?

Last triumph

Well-known user
Sounds great. I’m looking at changing the rear mufflers on my 69. It has Dynomax super turbo mufflers on it at the moment but they are much too quiet for my liking. What is the part number of the race bullets you went for?
I bought these, cheap as chips on Amazon....

I also bought these to make my own tail pipes....

And these to fit together....

I did have to fabricate my own hangers but was able to use the factory rubber mounts...

DDM2Ef0.jpg

swaFXFz.jpg

Just for the avoidance of doubt, they are loud, i.e people will turn round and look as you approach when driving gently - but JUST the right side of obnoxious without being silly. You'll drown out any TVR, put it that way, but I was able to leave it idling in the drive way for 20 mins without fear of upsetting the neighbours.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Crackling and poping on a non injected/ECU run Vette are generally due to an air leak (or leaks) somewhere on on the exhaust system - allows oxygen in to the exhaust system which will then support combustion of residual fuel in the exhaust gases.......just saying!
This I did not know, thanks. Mine has a little bit of popping on the overrun when it has warmed up and driven for a bit (20 odd mins or more?). I'm guessing something expands with heat and lets air in.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I found a couple of clips I did a few years ago with a camera mounted on the rear valance and rearward facing. I was interested to hear what my car sounded like.
This was with my old, more or less stock 350 motor, I need to repeat this now I've got a much more potent 383.
Another slight technical snag is I don't actually know what make my silencers are - they were on the car when I got it and have no identification.

https://youtu.be/GoQIRsZ1AjE
https://youtu.be/Jw_OGa8zvG0

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
I bought these, cheap as chips on Amazon....

I also bought these to make my own tail pipes....

And these to fit together....

I did have to fabricate my own hangers but was able to use the factory rubber mounts...

DDM2Ef0.jpg

swaFXFz.jpg

Just for the avoidance of doubt, they are loud, i.e people will turn round and look as you approach when driving gently - but JUST the right side of obnoxious without being silly. You'll drown out any TVR, put it that way, but I was able to leave it idling in the drive way for 20 mins without fear of upsetting the neighbours.
Hi, Good Post,sounds nice. i am keen to know what you think of the quick jacks? Any good?

Roscobbc

I found a couple of clips I did a few years ago with a camera mounted on the rear valance and rearward facing. I was interested to hear what my car sounded like.
This was with my old, more or less stock 350 motor, I need to repeat this now I've got a much more potent 383.
Another slight technical snag is I don't actually know what make my silencers are - they were on the car when I got it and have no identification.

Nicely done Andy - was that a camera or mobile phone?

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
It was an old dash cam held on with gaffer tape. Wouldn’t want to try that with my phone!!
That motor used to pop and bang a bit on over-run, don’t get that with the new one even though headers are the same.

Last triumph

Well-known user

I'd love to do the same with mine as it is now but don't have anything other than a phone.

What I will say is that the bullets permit much more of the higher frequencies of the combustion process through, so there is a more aggressive tone to add to the overall huge increase in volume. It's like someone has turned the treble up on the sound.

Last triumph

Well-known user
Hi, Good Post,sounds nice. i am keen to know what you think of the quick jacks? Any good?

Yes, the Quickjacks are brilliant.
Another one of those things you eventually invest in far too late, and usually after you really needed them!
They give enough space to allow me to lie on my trolley / creeper and scoot about under the car easily, reach around looking for tools etc without getting clothes caught up on anything, giving a much better view of things and allowing decent swing, leverage and use of bigger tools.
Highly recommended and great quality too.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
That sounds great. As you climb up the rev range yours sounds surprisingly similar to mine.

You can hears the over-run a lot more on yours though. I drove mine just on the headers once, the over-run then was unbelievable - it sounded like a machine gun.

Last triumph

Well-known user
That sounds great. As you climb up the rev range yours sounds surprisingly similar to mine.

You can hears the over-run a lot more on yours though. I drove mine just on the headers once, the over-run then was unbelievable - it sounded like a machine gun.

All good fun - I have to say I really like the over-run, so not in any panic to 'fix' it. LOL

Last triumph

Well-known user
Love it!

Been out in mine this afternoon trying to perfect heel 'n toe but not making a great gob of it thanks to the C3 pedal set up. LOL

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Love it!

Been out in mine this afternoon trying to perfect heel 'n toe but not making a great gob of it thanks to the C3 pedal set up. LOL
I don’t have trouble doing that, but I do find the gap between the edge of the brake pedal and the trans tunnel is narrow. Wide soled trainers are no good for me - I have to make sure I’m wearing narrow shoes or I can catch the edge of the brake when on and off the throttle. Could just be my massive feet😃

Roscobbc

I don’t have trouble doing that, but I do find the gap between the edge of the brake pedal and the trans tunnel is narrow. Wide soled trainers are no good for me - I have to make sure I’m wearing narrow shoes or I can catch the edge of the brake when on and off the throttle. Could just be my massive feet😃
Stilletto's are the answer (so they say)!

Last triumph

Well-known user

Pypes​

Are well known to be aggressive sound and sold for many Corvette years

Have you asked this vendor who is in the UK ?
After a while running the race bullets, I'm going to swallow my pride and admit they are too loud, in an obnoxious, eye rolling way.

I need to tone it down just a notch or two and have been researching all sorts over the last few weeks and have come to the conclusion that the Pypes MVS10s as fitted to the two cars you posted are my best bet.

Just ordered a pair and will report findings.

Last edited: