Nice looking Vettes with Attitude here please

Roscobbc

Tyres are too narrow for rims selected which is the only way the tyre/wheel combo will fit under the flared fenders - presuming he has air/hydraulic suspension one needs to presume its at its lowest setting - so how much higher in 'normal' drive stance? 4" higher? - still think unless the suspension is rock hard and on limited movement the first really big and unseen bump in the road surface and those flares will rip-off........

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Typical of the era , the fabulously styled Marcos GT was designed by Frank Costin , an ex De Havilland aerodynamics engineer . He just forgot that cars were not meant to take off . :LOL: My 1995 Mantara had a much re designed front end with a built in air dam but it still got worrying light on the steel as you nudged 100mph . :eek:marcos GT.jpg

Roscobbc

Typical of the era , the fabulously styled Marcos GT was designed by Frank Costin , an ex De Havilland aerodynamics engineer . He just forgot that cars were not meant to take off . :LOL: My 1995 Mantara had a much re designed front end with a built in air dam but it still got worrying light on the steel as you nudged 100mph . :eek:View attachment 11682
Early C3's ('68, '69) are particularly bad on front end lift - 120mph and the front end starts to become 'light' - 135 mph and it wants to become airborne........
Yet a simple moderate lowering of the front end to change the 'attitude' of the car makes a significant difference on these cars. You guys with the later cars have the advantage of aerodynamic aids front and rear to keep them glued to the tarmac. These very 'aids' enabled 200+ mph speeds at racetracks like Le Mans in the early '70's.......

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Early C3's ('68, '69) are particularly bad on front end lift - 120mph and the front end starts to become 'light' - 135 mph and it wants to become airborne........
Yet a simple moderate lowering of the front end to change the 'attitude' of the car makes a significant difference on these cars. You guys with the later cars have the advantage of aerodynamic aids front and rear to keep them glued to the tarmac. These very 'aids' enabled 200+ mph speeds at racetracks like Le Mans in the early '70's.......
120mph you say? With my base model 327 engine, and my ability to drive mostly like Miss Daisy (not the one from Dukes of Hazzard), I don't think I'll need to worry about my Vette taking off :ROFLMAO:
As an aside, I wonder what the top speed of a 327/300 with a 4 speed is? :unsure:

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Can anyone answer me this.. whats with the body line on the C5?.. half of them seem to have it and half dont but it doesnt seem to me to be year related (or is it?).
The line im talking about is the one on the police car which they no doubt had a hell of a job applying the word Police over the top of. It looks like one of those protection from supermarket car park dings mouldings but half of its recessed so it cant be that...
with..
Cool Police Cars.jpg
without..
Redhead.jpg

Rich

Administrator
It's a door protector and was an option hence some have them and some don't. RPO B84 Body Side Mouldings.

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
It's a door protector and was an option hence some have them and some don't. RPO B84 Body Side Mouldings.

(y) Thanks.. that would explain why i couldnt figure out which years had them and which didnt.
Im guessing its the most ineffective door protector on any car ever given that most of its recessed... i suppose the rear edge of the door has some protection if you accidentally bang it into something.

Rich

Administrator
I think they were designed for cosmetic reasons, but they have saved my doors. I guess it depends on the shape of the door someone is opening onto your beloved Corvette