Nice looking Vettes with Attitude here please

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Yes, mid metallic blue 4 door 'pillarless' hardtop sedan - 2bbl 289, 3 on the three manual. Registration number started JYF can't recall number 'K' (71/72 registered) - bought it it from Colchester Road Harold Wood for......believe it or not (and if my memory is holding up) £185
Just checked with my Dad, YES that was one he imported JYF329K. Wow, it’s a small world..

Roscobbc

Just checked with my Dad, YES that was one he imported JYF329K. Wow, it’s a small world..
Here is a buyer/seller story. The Galaxie was my first American car. Firstly went to see it, got taken out for a test run 9 and I wanted it!) - so went home, thought about it overnight, checked out insurance etc etc and returned next day prepared to make a bid. Buyer said that he had a couple of potential buyers after me who were seriously interested. He thought they may have been Pikey's as they were bidding him down very hard due to the fact that it wasn't running properly. The seller wondered if during their test drive had swapped plug leads around - anyway he wasn't prepared to sell it to them but I could have it for the same price as what they offered him (£185). That was less than I was going to offered so bought it on the spot. Got the car home OK, and yes the leads had been swapped.
First thing was to 'chop' the knackered 'Y' pipe stock exhaust and replace with two of the original Thrush 'shorty' mufflers exiting in front of the rear wheels. Later managed to afford a new pair of Woolferace wheels on the back. Car had manual everything - except brakes (drum all round) - brakes were always very good, too good in fact as they always seemed to apply full braking power any any speed. This was a real problem if I had front seat passengers having a habit of 'coasting' the car out of gear when slowing down. Unfortunately with the brakes being so sharp without the transmission engaged it would lock all four wheels at any speed below 20 mph with even the gentlest application - sending front seat passengers crashing in to the dashboard and windscreen!

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
At that time, we were located in Crouch End Hornsey N8. ( ME American cars)
How long did you keep it for.
I remember riding in it a couple of times, cleaned it a few times as well.

Roscobbc

At that time, we were located in Crouch End Hornsey N8. ( ME American cars)
How long did you keep it for.
I remember riding in it a couple of times, cleaned it a few times as well.
Don't recall M E in Crouch End. I kept the car for perhaps a year or so (long time back then) seem to recall doing some sort of deal (against a mk1 Cortina GT for my mother) with a buddy living in Leytonstone.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Had a friend in Leytonstone who did custom spraying, murals etc called Alan Lay. It wasn’t his full time job, he was a printer. Boy could he spray. A bit like Ray Mumford and Geoff Ridgeway. Done a couple of Andy Kay’s vans ( AK windscreens ) Dave flickers cougar convertible “house of Wax” and a mauve TR6 called “screwball” before he painted it, we took the artwork to the police obscene publication dept to get approval. They OKed 3 of the designs but a no no on the 4th.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
This Greenwood is outstanding.

The 1970’s into the early 80’s custom scene in the US produced some of the most colourful/graphic painted cars ever. Mainly Corvette C3 and not so many C2 were fantastically painted, with interiors in crushed velvet they were out of this world.
We in the UK didn’t do too badly with customs but custom corvettes were a bit thin on the ground.
Anybody remember “french Connection” ( Mustang) “ the heartbreaker” ( mustang). “ artful Dodger” ( challenger)
Great cars.
0CF78E1D-3AA7-4BE7-8961-C53F332A271C.jpeg

Daytona Vette

Well-known user

The 1970’s into the early 80’s custom scene in the US produced some of the most colourful/graphic painted cars ever. Mainly Corvette C3 and not so many C2 were fantastically painted, with interiors in crushed velvet they were out of this world.
We in the UK didn’t do too badly with customs but custom corvettes were a bit thin on the ground.
Anybody remember “french Connection” ( Mustang) “ the heartbreaker” ( mustang). “ artful Dodger” ( challenger)
Great cars.
View attachment 10486
I am sorry but no car looks good with the wheels set in - even a 427 SC Cobra looses its attitude when sitting on inset wheels and the rest I refrain to comment as the owner may find me

Roscobbc

I am sorry but no car looks good with the wheels set in - even a 427 SC Cobra looses its attitude when sitting on inset wheels and the rest I refrain to comment as the owner may find me
One hopes that the C4 wheels are purely for jockying the car around in the garage and that his 18" or 20" wheels and tyres (note, 18" and 20" Barry) are stored away..........

jukebox

CCCUK Member

Great cars.
View attachment 10486
Used to own Night Gallery Bedford CF back in the early 80s.
Was a Geoff Ridgeway murals custom van.

jukebox

CCCUK Member
Do you recall George Smith and his custom C.F. van?
Hi he was the guy who had the van built and painted.
I bought the van from someone in bow east london used it as a daily driver .
Driving it back I ran out of fuel 3 miles from home .
Finally got it home done a wheel spin and busted the rear axle.

Attachments

• 20210430_150205.jpg
    20210430_150205.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 6