Tim’s 2023 Season

Oneball

CCCUK Member
How does the repair look, you did on left rear ?
Everyone says they can’t really see it but I can. For some reason despite the fact the clear coat came out of the same can it’s not got the shine of the rest of the paint. I need to redo it over the winter.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Saturday morning brought if not clear skies then a least a dry track, yippee.

Two laps into qualifying and the power steering belt makes a bid for freedom and takes out the alternator/water pump belt too. Almost got back to the paddock before it dumped coolant everywhere.

99F0F05F-288F-4F18-B28F-0BA1B3F364BA.jpeg

I’m not sure I like the power steering either it’s way too light and has a funny feel as though nothing happens and then it suddenly turns in.

Anyway no real choice for race 1, I’m going to do without the power steering. Unfortunately the only alternator belt I’ve got is a bit too long.

johng

CCCUK Member
Tim, not going to help you now, but before I put the aircon back on my car I had a belt running between the crank and the water pump, which means you still have cooling even if the alternator belt breaks. I have read on the US forum that the toothed belts (which I have and I think you had too) are not very strong. Don't know if this is true.
IMG_20211206_145210.jpg

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Tim, not going to help you now, but before I put the aircon back on my car I had a belt running between the crank and the water pump, which means you still have cooling even if the alternator belt breaks. I have read on the US forum that the toothed belts (which I have and I think you had too) are not very strong. Don't know if this is true.
View attachment 23927
I did have that originally but replaced it with the power steering one. The earlier small blocks only have a two belt bottom pulley. I’m going to add the later 3 pulley set up.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Race 1 and Im starting from last after the quali mishap.

There’s a grid walk for the spectators.

ED34A01A-26BD-48D0-A1FF-B721A53BCF38.jpeg

Then a pretend Le Mans start which I reckon I won :p with a real rolling start. I drop back quite a long way after the start getting used to the steering. There a lot of play and disconcerting movement under braking which is apparently due to the lack of fluid pressure in the steering control valve. I start to catch up to the back of the pack and quickly get past a MGB V8. Then begin battling with a Maverick. Eventually he locks up under braking into the chicane and I get past. I’ve started to run out of brakes so back off for a couple of laps. I’m beginning to catch up to the next guy in a Mustang when the checkered flag comes out. 30th to 22nd.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Race 2. Start in 21st as someone has withdrawn. And get comprehensively mugged at the start by TVRs and a faster Corvette that were behind me after not finishing race 1. Think I’ve dropped to 24th or 25th. 3rd corner and the alternator belt leaves the show. Can I make it to the end on the battery alone???

2nd lap a TVR sticks it in the gravel and the safety car is deployed. We spend a few laps behind it while the car is extracted and we’re racing again. I loose a place to a C2 but manage to stay with him until he spins at the chicane and I get the place back.

29B363EF-8F42-491A-982A-68F49A5B11DE.jpeg
Start to gain on the red Mustang again. Oil flags are out after the lake. That’s a lot of oil. Two corners later and the race is red flagged. Battery made it!!

18th and 2nd in the Vette class.

The oil came from a TVR which had a bit of an engine explosion! (Pics from Mr Walden)
9D7815A8-674A-477B-AB3B-30D3A59F8186.jpeg05D094EC-D96B-4600-9DF4-EB2D811DEEE2.jpeg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Race 2. Start in 21st as someone has withdrawn. And get comprehensively mugged at the start by TVRs and a faster Corvette that were behind me after not finishing race 1. Think I’ve dropped to 24th or 25th. 3rd corner and the alternator belt leaves the show. Can I make it to the end on the battery alone???

2nd lap a TVR sticks it in the gravel and the safety car is deployed. We spend a few laps behind it while the car is extracted and we’re racing again. I loose a place to a C2 but manage to stay with him until he spins at the chicane and I get the place back.

View attachment 23941
Start to gain on the red Mustang again. Oil flags are out after the lake. That’s a lot of oil. Two corners later and the race is red flagged. Battery made it!!

18th and 2nd in the Vette class.

The oil came from a TVR which had a bit of an engine explosion! (Pics from Mr Walden)
View attachment 23942View attachment 23943
Ooops ! :eek:

johng

CCCUK Member
Compared to that TVR engine, your belts failures are a very minor inconvenience. What you going to do to stop re-occurence? What you going to do with the steering as well?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Compared to that TVR engine, your belts failures are a very minor inconvenience. What you going to do to stop re-occurence? What you going to do with the steering as well?
Next race is Silverstone at the weekend so I’ve not really got time to do anything with the power steering. I’ll put the non-power steering link back on which will take out the control valve so there’s no play and that’ll go back to the belt set up I know is ok.

I’m not sure why the steering belt gave up yet. But I’m thinking of changing the Vette pump for a later type that is adjustable for flow so I can at least change the amount of assistance as I didn’t really like it when it was working.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I guess you are operating out of the National Pits ? If you are there prepping the car on Thursday I will pop over and say Hi after setting up the club display area .
Yes. Garages 9 & 10 or around there somewhere. As long as I can get the day off work should be there Thurs lunchtime.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Yes. Garages 9 & 10 or around there somewhere. As long as I can get the day off work should be there Thurs lunchtime.
My friends usually manage to get Garage 3 or 4 with the Formula 2 and Formula Atlantic cars so I will be in out of there too all weekend so I will find you no probs .

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Just spoke to my friends and they have had to pull out of the weekends Historic F2 races as one of the cars has developed dropping oil pressure problems during testing and the other one grenaded its engine at Brands the other weekend and a £25 K plus rebuild won`t be ready in time . A real bummer but that`s racing as you well know . :(
I guess you mean garages 9 & 10 A or B as the International Pits ( the Wing) are the numbers only garages .

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Cheers Tim , as I thought Blue Zone - National Paddock , garages have numbers and letters . International Paddock garages just numbers .National Pits 2.JPGInteratioal Pits.JPG(y)